We offer boat owners and investors an income-producing opportunity in the Whitsundays, one of the world’s most desirable sailing locations.
Owning a yacht used for bareboat charters is a way of owning a unique lifestyle while having it financially work for you. Yacht charter investment is perfect for those who want to own a boat and holiday in one of the most beautiful sailing grounds in the world, the Whitsundays.
Here’s how it works. You put your boat into a charter company’s fleet. You’re able to sail your boat when it suits you, and when you’re elsewhere, it will be looked after and maintained by the charter company while also being hired out as a bareboat, generating an income. Putting a catamaran, monohull or motor cruiser into a charter company’s fleet is not only convenient, but it significantly reduces the running costs of boat ownership.
And the best bit? When you want a tropical sailing holiday, your vessel will be available to you in tiptop condition with concierge service.
WHAT IS A BAREBOAT?
A bareboat is a charter vessel that comes without a professional crew, fully equipped for holiday hire. After an extensive briefing, guests are able to skipper the bareboat themselves.
When people hire a bareboat with Whitsunday Rent a Yacht, they enjoy the freedom of sailing the Whitsunday Islands over several days at their own pace.
Each bareboat in our fleet is privately owned by investors who make an income every time their boat is hired out to guests.
Catamarans have become the world’s most popular bareboat choice due to their space, stability and ease of operation. As a result, they offer the strongest returns.
The Location: The Whitsunday Islands
Sailing a bareboat in the Whitsunday Islands is considered a once in a lifetime experience by many people.
The Whitsunday Islands are:
- Australia’s best sailing ground and a world-class sailing destination
- Safe, protected waters thanks to the outer Great Barrier Reef acts as a barrier from large ocean swells
- A subtropical climate with warm weather throughout the year
- 74 islands to explore offering plenty of opportunities to escape crowds
- Fringing coral reefs with fantastic fishing, snorkelling and diving sites dotted around the islands
- Stunning National Parks Islands with diverse flora and fauna, hiking trails as well as famous pristine beaches
- Islands resorts such as Hamilton, Palm Bay and Daydream are open to bareboat visitors
About Whitsunday Rent a Yacht
Whitsunday Rent a Yacht specialises in skipper yourself bareboat charters. We’ve been operating since 1978, making us the longest-established, Australian-owned yacht charter company.
We pride ourselves on being customer-focused, ensuring that our guests have an unforgettable and safe experience sailing the Whitsundays on immaculately maintained boats.
In recent years, we have also become agents to the world-renowned charter brand, Sunsail.
Whitsunday Rent a Yacht is based on our private jetty and slipway in stunning Shute Harbour, just 10 minutes from Airlie Beach. Shute Harbour is a spectacular location and the best mainland port to charter from because of its close proximity to the Islands.
When it comes to looking after your investment, we do it all
- We market your vessel and manage publicity, attracting people from all over the world to sail with us in the Whitsundays.
- We manage all vessel bookings.
- We administer Marine Park Permits for each boat in our fleet
- We carry out tasks associated with chartering your vessel including maintenance and cleaning
- We administer and pay government fees and charges
- We maintain a strong business relationship with our boat owners, keeping lines of communication open and transparent.
Own the adventure: Advantages of investing in a bareboat
When you make a yacht charter investment, you invest in a lifestyle.
- As an owner, you are entitled to use the yacht for up to 28 days per year (or more at your request)
- Owning a charter boat is a hassle-free way to enjoy many sailing holidays throughout the year. You won’t spend your holiday cleaning, fixing or maintaining your vessel; this will all be done for you before you arrive.
- Most privately owned boats in the Whitsundays sit idle for the year, but the bills don’t. Investing in a bareboat means your boat “earns its keep”.
- You won’t need to spend time arranging marina fees, berthing, insurance, or repairs which can be challenging when you’re living in a different location.
- Your boat will be located in Australia’s most beautiful and diverse sailing destination, the breathtaking Whitsunday Islands.
- You’ll save on operating costs compared to private ownership. Expert boat mechanics and shipwrights will look after your boat.
- Ownership of a sizable boat while achieving a return on your purchase
- Opportunities for tax advantages around interest & depreciation etc
Boat Investment Models
There are two types of models under which the agreements operate:
This is a Business Model operating in Australia under ATO Tax Ruling TR2003/2004. Under this system, the owner plays a prominent role in managing the owner’s Yacht, including vessel maintenance, improvements and planning. The owner can claim expenses and depreciation before realising the taxable income. The Operator receives a Management Fee from the owner.
Guaranteed Return Model
This pre-determines the rate of return on the Yacht. Generally, under this system, expenses and depreciation cannot be deducted for tax purposes. We strongly advise you to speak to your accountant or financial advisor. If you wish, we can recommend a person that has had experience in this field.
Yacht Brands Suitable for Charter
Whitsunday Rent a Yacht is interested in managing all vessel brands providing they are suitable for charter, and meet our chartering requirements, regulatory requirements and guest expectations.
Example brands often used for bareboat charter include:
- Fountaine Pajot
New management contracts are generally for 5 years
We are also happy to look at selected used yachts. The duration of the agreement would depend on the vessel’s age.
- Power Catamarans: 3-4 cabins, 2-4 heads
- Sailing Catamarans: – 3-4 cabins, 2-4 heads
- Sailing Monohulls: 3-4 cabins, 2-4 heads
We live and breathe yachting here at WRAY. There is a process in acquiring and placing a yacht into a fleet; we are here to assist.
Please contact our Director, Jim Korosec, for further information:
call 0418 385 466